Much has been made in the U.S. Senate race about who is the “proven conservative.” But looking at the facts, there is only one tried and true social conservative in the race, and that’s David Dewhurst. Consider:
- It was David Dewhurst who defunded Planned Parenthood, the pro-abortion lobby’s most cherished organization. Abortion should not be funded by taxpayers, and it is David Dewhurst who has fought for that important goal.
- David Dewhurst also passed legislation requiring sonograms before abortions. The pro-life movement must always remind the Left that unborn children are not only human beings, but also completely defenseless.
- There is no one who is more steadfast in protecting our children than David Dewhurst, which is why he fought hard for the Texas version of Jessica’s Law — the toughest version of that law in the country. Sadly, Ted Cruz — who has staked his entire campaign on his record of arguing legal cases on behalf of conservative causes — bungled that case in court.
- David Dewhurst helped pass the Texas Defense of Marriage Act, legislation that upholds and strengthens this most fundamental of social institutions. Ted Cruz, meanwhile, accepted $250,000 from a gay marriage activist in California during his failed run for Attorney General.
- David Dewhurst also passed tort reform, also known as a “Loser Pays” law. The cost of everything that we purchase, particularly medical care, has been driven up by frivolous lawsuits and folks who think they can milk doctors and other businesses for money. David Dewhurst stood up to the trial lawyers and said, “enough is enough.”
- And David Dewhurst is a proud supporter of our strongest ally in the Middle East, Israel. As State Rep. Debbie Riddle said of Dewhurst: “I know he WILL stand strong for Israel & that is important.”
Ted Cruz likes to say he’s the conservative fighter in the race, but it is David Dewhurst who not only talks the talk, but has walked the walk.